Monday, March 2, 2009

Talk is Cheap

Spud was a late talker.  We were so delighted when he finally was able to communicate that we really didn't mind the excess chatter.  It was pleasant.  It was so nice to finally know what he wanted.

But then Sprout was an early talker.  Full sentences LONG before he was two.  

Which basically means that for the past year I have had two talkers in the same stage.  

Incessant.

Never-ending.

ALL THE BLESSED TIME.

I was telling my sister how I am finding it extremely hard to concentrate when driving while the never-ending dialogue plays out in the back.

Her helpful suggestion was that I tell them to be quiet for a few minutes while mommy focuses on the traffic.

So I did.

"Guys you need to be quiet for three minutes while mommy merges."

"OK mommy we be quiet"

1.37 seconds later

"we're being really good at being quiet aren't we mommy?"

"We're good quieters."

"Can we talk yet mommy?"

"Is it talking time yet?"

"What are you doing mommy?"

I interject

"Hey guys, mommy told you it was quiet time remember,  I will tell you when it is time to start talking again.  I promise."

"OK, don't forget when to tell us, sometimes you forget, don't forget mommy."

"You bet Buddy"  (By this point I have nearly driven up the bumper of the car in front of me.)

3.89 seconds later

"Mommy I think you have forgotten.  Can we talk now?"

I'm truly beginning to wonder why we ever hustled Spud to speech therapy in the first place.


7 comments:

a Tonggu Momma said...

This. Is. My. Life. Although I must admit it's gotten better with age. She's nearly five. And we've progressed to about 3 minutes of silence at a time. Hugs, girl.

Knittinchick said...

Hmmm... the talkers will take over the world. People will just bow to giving them what they want so they'll be quiet (said from experience... tee hee hee!)

Maybe your boys are just gearing up to take over the world. Barack will get a run for his money with their ability to wow people with their oratory skills!

Char said...

Hmmm, when I need to, I use the 'mommy is having some prayer time' card. Of course I am already praying for patience and wisdom by that point, but they know that when I am praying, I am already conversing with someone other than them, so they wait a little more patiently, or talk to one another! Good luck!! Lol!

Heather of the EO said...

OH how I can relate. And now I'm just terrified for when my slow-to-talk Asher starts adding in. When I tell Miles I need quiet to drive he just keeps asking why he can't talk over and over and over. So not worth the hassle. I choose to just try really hard to let it become background noise of the static variety :)

Jenny-Jenny said...

Oh the joys of motherhood. Ya gotta love 'em! The difference with when they become teens is that they want to do all that talking at midnight!
www.jenny-jennywhocaniturnto.blogspot.com

Dawn and Dale said...

Hey sweets!! I've misplaced your email AGAIN!! I wanted to email you about something! Could you email me so I have your addy again??

Thanks!!

CC said...

This would so drive me nuts too!!

And obviously my colleagues did their job a little too well. ;)