Monday, September 28, 2009

Sprout Sez

I posted a few weeks ago that we are experiencing THREE round these parts. Some of you gently suggested this may not be age, but rather personality.

I'm choosing to ignore this wisdom. I'm still holding out that this is JUST A PHASE and come March or so, it will all be gone.

Nothing like a little blind optimism to get one through the day.

In the meantime, for your chuckling pleasure, may I share with you more examples of why I don't get anything done around here, just too busy "training."

Sprout is still sucking his thumb. We have determined based on his personality that it's now just a habit, he doesn't really need it for comfort and we are going to help him break the habit before his orthodontic needs break our budget. The other day I looked in the rear view mirror and saw his hand up around his face.

HG: "Sprout, thumb."

Sprout (With all the indignation a three year old can muster) "my thumb is not in my mouth, my finger is up my nose."

Well, then, carry on.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
In an effort to re-channel some energy while drying him off after a bath I asked him if he could sing me a song.

He replied that he could not.

15 seconds later he burped. Then he turned to me and said, "I burped. That is my song for you."

Isn't he precious?

---------------------------------------------------------------

He was repeatedly tattling on his brother and came downstairs while I was washing dishes to report yet another insanely minor annoyance. I was getting rather frustrated. So I decided to count to ten in my head to cool down before I asked yet again if he had used his steps.

I hadn't made it to three when he was off again, hollering "Hey Spud, Mommy wants to talk to you."

Nothing like a little proactivity. That's my Sprout. He gets the job done. Even if there is no job to do.

But then, every so often he looks at me and smiles and says "I love you mommy. You are my friend." He smiles his million watt smile and I totally forget why I was correcting him.
Mission accomplished.

3 comments:

Knittinchick said...

Another favorite Sprout moment when we were at the park.

He was running around trying to press as much fun into the available time he had. Then without warning, he slid to a dead stop stating (with those eyes that melt icebergs), "Auntie KC, I just wanted to tell you that I'm having a GREAT time."

Nicole said...

Aw, that's sweet.

About the thumb. Don't judge me but (I'm whispering) my four year old still goes to bed with a soother.

Anonymous said...

YOU HAAAAAVE to write a book on this fair child. Exploiting your children? Na call it the college fund plan!!!!!