Friday, October 23, 2009

7 Quick Takes Vacation Edition

1. While in Texas we went to the Texas State Fair. It was too much fun. I even almost tried the deep fried butter but upon seeing other people eating it, thought better of it and stuck to a sausage. In fact, my credit card had such a good time at the fair that it decided to stay and jumped out of my wallet in order to do so.
I discovered this the next morning when I went to pay for my purchases at Kohl's. However, some amazing soul turned in my credit card to the lost and found. So, after Way Cooler's conference let out we went to pick it up. Our arrival coincided with the ending of the OU/UT game. There are 5 million people in the Metroplex. I think every last one of them was at the fair along with the greater portion of Oklahoma. But I had my credit card, so I happily waded through the throng.

2. We flew to Texas on Areoplan points and decided to splurge and upgrade to Executive. What a ridiculously fun way to fly. There's nothing quite like munching mixed nuts and sipping herbal tea while watching a movie in a very comfy seat. It's really ruined me for the next time I have to fly economy with kids.

3. I tend not to drink alcohol, mainly because I am very, very cheap and it's rather expensive here in Canada. I cannot bring myself to pay that much for a beverage. However, it was free in Executive so I decided to try some. Turns out, I do not like wine or beer, (really, people pay money for that?) but Bailey's in hot chocolate is quite a treat. However, I think I'll stick to my Coke Zero from here on in.

4. I watched "My Sister's Keeper" on the plane. This is not something I would recommend. Unless sobbing uncontrollably amongst fifty strangers not watching the same movie is your idea of a good time. Otherwise, this one is best watched on your own.

5. You Southern women really need to help me out. I think I drank my weight in sweet tea while down there and really don't want to wait another six years to have some again. I'd forgotten how very good it is. How does one make it at home? Please help me. Please. I'm in some serious withdrawal here.

6. Early Saturday morning I was able to shop at Kohl's all by myself. Early morning shopping was one of my favorite pre-child activities and it was very enjoyable to do it again. But it got me thinking, I don't think I'd trade it for my current early Saturday morning ticklefests with two small boys. I loved the pre-kid season and I love this one now. So very different, and yet both so very good.

7. Biscuits and Gravy is THE breakfast of champions. Forever and amen.

For more Quick Takes, please visit Jennifer at Conversion Diary. Even if you don't want the quick takes, visit Jennifer anyway. Her blog is truly one of the most thought provoking out there.

6 comments:

Nicole said...

Baileys + Hot Chocolate = Delicious.

I have to ask: how does one deep-fry butter?

momofthecrazies said...

Along the lines of Nicole's question. WHY would one deep-fry butter? The better question is WHY would one EAT deep-fried butter?

Jennifer said...

To make sweet tea, simply add sugar. :-) I don't know how you make your tea at home but I have an iced tea pitcher, a coffee pot would work too. Brew your tea and add sugar while still hot. I put sugar in the bottom of my pitcher so when the hot tea goes in it dissolves it. Once sugar is dissolved add ice or cold water to make iced tea. Experiment with amounts of sugar. I currently use 2/3 cup splenda for a gallon of tea. I have known people to use a cup or more for a gallon.

Knittinchick said...

I heard an interview with the deep fried butter guy on a podcast. The guy doesn't take himself too seriously which was kind of heartening.... but he makes enough from his DFB to live off for the rest of the year!

Middle-Aged Moi said...

DEEP FRIED BUTTER? That's just wrong.

Bill said...

The key to sweet tea is that the sugar (note: I did NOT say "sweetener") must go in when the tea is HOT.

My mama's practice (can't really call it a recipe) was 1 cup of sugar to 1 & 1/2 quarts of tea.

We were a Luzianne household, back in those days, if you're interested in brand-names. Tetley was big with the neighbors.

Bill McNutt
http://willstuff.wordpress.com