Thursday, September 2, 2010

More than the Ocean

Dear Spud,

Today you started grade one. It was, by your account, a very good day. There was snack, you played at the play park and a friend was there from kindergarten. All that was missing was a computer game or two.

I put you on the bus this morning. Your eyes shone so bright as you sat there, your backpack nearly as big as you, so proud to be going by yourself. I thought it would be hard to wave goodbye, but your delight at this new adventure made me smile so much I forgot to cry.

I followed your bus to the school, all the while worrying a little. The traffic was quite heavy so you were on the bus for nearly an hour. What if someone picked on you, what if you were lonely, what if you got scared? What if?

And then you got off the bus and headed for the door. I think you'd grown another inch on the bus as that backpack didn't seem to dwarf you so much. You were so tall, so confident. You've never been there before on your own but you went into the building as if you'd been doing this all your life.

We worry about you sometimes. You are so sweet, and so innocent and so gentle. We are afraid that this world will take advantage of that. We forget that you are also determined, outgoing and resourceful. Today you showed me that you will be just fine.

I love you more than the ocean,

Mommy

5 comments:

Knittinchick said...

dear spud: i love you more than the sky... and am so proud of you rocking out school, bus rides and learning.

U are a great kid... and you make it SO easy to love you.

a Tonggu Momma said...

what a beautiful post, HG ... I can just feel your love for him

granola_granny said...

Spud, please don't grow up too fast.

Beck said...

Aw. I'm so glad he had a great day!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post, HG. You have me crying!