Friday, December 19, 2008

Christmas Confessions

I have a few Christmas secrets. And since most of the Internet is busy at Boomama's I feel safe sharing these with all 3 of you.

*I hate wrapping presents. For three glorious years when we lived in Langley a local mall would gift-wrap all your presents for you, even if you didn't buy them there for a small donation to charity. I had beautiful presents for three years in a row and no one was the wiser. Until now.

* I spike my eggnog. With Ginger-ale. Do not knock it till you try it. You'll never look back.

* I do not ask my kids what they want for Christmas. They seem oblivious to the fact that they could request a gift. I do not get any requests, whining or begging. I plan to ride this pony till the tail falls off. If you know them and clue them in than you are dead to me.

* I won't let my kids eat candy canes. The sticky mess makes me cringe, so they are mint-deprived.

* I will not be cooking a traditional Christmas dinner. Instead we will be having what is easier and everyone likes better anyway. Chicken wings, cheese nachos, a shrimp ring and various other bar food. Thank-you M and M meatshops.

*I LOVE the song Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer. If I tell you it brings back special memories will that make me seem less of a red-neck?

* This is our 5th year with a Christmas tree. It's our 13th Christmas since we've been married.

* There is a star at the top of my Christmas tree, but it is not your traditional star. The first year we ever had a tree we were living in Ft. Worth. Way Cooler had gone to a hockey game and I decorated the tree by myself and went to bed. When I got up the next morning I discovered that Way Cooler had put a star up for me. It was a picture of a Dallas Stars player from his ticket stub. That has topped our tree ever since.
Seriously.

*I've never watched It's a Wonderful Life. I have no plans to. Quite honestly, it sounds a little dull. Guy feels down, sees how he helps others, perks up again. Meh.

Now you have it. What's your Christmas confession?

10 comments:

momofthecrazies said...

Do you know how long it's been since we've spent Christmas together? Anyhow, have you tried Eggnog and Root Beer? (I don't personally like Eggnog, but I've heard it's good. Then there's rum...)

Are there people who actually enjoy candy canes? None in our house!

My personal favorite Christmas song is "Six White Boomers" although I have been known to sing "Grandma Got Run Over" and it makes the crazies look at me strange.

a Tonggu Momma said...

Hmm... I'm thinking. How about - I actually prefer Christmas Eve over Christmas Day. I like the baking, hosting, worship, forcing others to sing carols, playing games, anticipation, etc. The Christmas Day part? Ho-hum.

Knittinchick said...

My Christmas confession.... I never believed in Santa b/c he often left us thank you cards in the stocking. A true Santa collaborate with your mom to inspire you to write thank you cards on Boxing Day.

The eggnog with ginger ale thing. Must be a Mommies' Side of the Family thing. We did that too and it's my personal favorite way:-)

granola_granny said...

Don't like eggnog with our without bubbly.
Knittin's cousins didn't believe in Santa either because Santa often put 'presents' in their stockings that they had seen their mom tote in the door in the loot she was given by students at Christmas. (It's even better than 75% off). I've reformed and don't do that anymore. And did I mentioned I've retired?

Lady Why said...

It's a Wonderful Life?

Best. Christmas. Movie. EVER!

You must watch it! Here's a deal for you... watch the movie and if you don't agree it's charming, heartwarming and down right wonderful, I'll send you some of our warm weather! Deal?

Better hurry! I hear our warm weather is leaving us come Sunday!

Alex said...

I sat through Its a Wonderful Life once. ONCE. It was more than enough. I'd much rather watch A Christmas Story

My christmas confessions are very similar to yours. Pretty much all but the eggnog LOL Its reassuring knowing I'm not alone :)

gramgram said...

Well I must be the outsider in the family, I love, love, love Christmas. Decorate in November, love baking, making gifts, buying gifts, and then watching everyone opening them up. Then I used to run out Boxing Day buy up bargains and send them out to Ukranian relatives that I no longer have. This year we're giving "lightly" but Tues. our kids are going to try and fly down here to see us and after the opening of our cheap but tasteful gifts we will then go visiting, eat, play games, eat, and go for a walk in short sleeves, now I ask you what could be more fun. Oh and the Eggnog I make mine from scratch, lots of whipping cream and please leave any bubbly out of my Eggnog nothing but Rum for me, Merry Christmas and to all a Goodnight

CC said...

My husband thinks It's A Wonderful Life is the most depressing movie he's ever seen. I thought it was dull. So don't bother.

Love the star on your tree and LOVE your holiday dinner.

I also don't let my kids "request" gifts. They git what they git.

And I'm with Tonggu Momma, Christmas day was always kinda boring.

Tez said...

My darling geek, there is a VERY large possibility that you and I were reincarnated from the same brain!!
I also ginger ale my nog, I do not have a christmas tree up and I don't give a crap! (too much work for this lazy ass)! Have a fabulous christmas. You're amazing.

Keri said...

HI! I'm late on this but still feel compelled to confess...

I hate the song "Little Drummer Boy".

I hate the song "Christmas Shoes."

I hate the song "Butterfly Kisses" - ok, so not a CHRISTMAS confession, but it goes along with the previous one.

Thank you, I feel much better now.