Wednesday, December 16, 2009

How the Geek Does Christmas

Well, it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas around here. We've got PLENTY 'o snow. It's also been waaaay colder than should be legal but at least it's not Edmonton.

So, since I'm feeling all Christmassy and stuff I thought I'd steal this meme from Missy at It's Almost Naptime.

Eggnog or Hot Chocolate? Both. Now would be good. Really good. And this is where I express my extreme disappointment that Starbucks did not bring back the salted caramel hot chocolate. BAD, OVERPRICED YUPPIE HANGOUT. BAD.

Does Santa wrap the presents or leave them open under the tree? We've killed off Santa here at the house of Geek, so in compensation for his untimely demise all presents are wrapped. Not well, but they are wrapped.

Coloured Lights on a tree or white? This is where I earn my wife of the year award. I really like white. Way Cooler prefers coloured. So our tree is a multi-coloured eyesore delight. I also get bonus good wife points for the fact that most of the lights are hand-me-downs. We didn't have to buy them ourselves. Score one for the frugal team.

Do you hang Misletoe? I actually put up a tree. Any decorating beyond that would be a Christmas miracle.


When do you put your decorations up? When I feel like it. I'm sorta the anti-type A. I'm more type Z. So, this year, they went up before December. When I had colicky babies, they stayed in the box. And note, Tonggu Momma, that I did NOT decorate before Thanksgiving. That would be weird seeing as how Thanksgiving is in October. It was a good month past Thanksgiving before I decorated.


What is your favorite Holiday Dish? You're asking me to pick one? I'm rather fond of all holiday dishes. Mind you, I'm rather fond of food. My least favorite? Well, that would be the nasty smoked oysters that Santa leaves in my dad's stocking. In my opinion you need to be smoking something strong in order to want to put one of those things in your mouth.


Favorite Holiday Memory as a Child? You want me to remember something from childhood? Right now I can't even remember where my keys are.


Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? In keeping with our not-at-all-traditional traditions we open all our presents on Christmas Eve.


How do you decorate your Christmas tree? Envision the perfect Martha Stewart tree. Mine would be the exact opposite of that.


Snow. Love it or Hate it? It doesn't really matter what I think, I live on the Canadian prairies. Enough said.

Can you ice skate? Did I mention where I live? Ice skating is part of our genetic make-up.

What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? It's not really a dessert per se, but the dark chocolate salted caramels from President's Choice make my heart go pitter patter, and if I ate as many of them as I would like to they'd eventually make it stop altogether.


What is your favorite holiday tradition? There is no way I can pick just one. But St. Nicholas Day is fast becoming one of my favorites.

Candy Canes. Yum or Yuck? Nasty little peppermint things. I was utterly delighted when I gave one to Spud and a minutes later he basically spit it out. "But this tastes like toothpaste" he cried. "We don't EAT toothpaste." Exactly my boy. Exactly.

Favorite Christmas Show? While it is not a Christmas-y show, I have very very fond memories of watching The Sound of Music with my family every Christmas. Way Cooler does not share my fondness and now I have memories of watching it alone while wrapping (very poorly) all the presents.

There you have it, everything you did not want to know about Christmas at the house of Geek. Feel free to steal this for your blog should the spirit move you.



9 comments:

momofthecrazies said...

The Sound of Music is totally my favourite Christmas movie too! Which reminds me, I need to dig it out and make Dadofthecrazies suffer through it again. Because nothing says Christmas like me impersonating Julie Andrews!

a Tonggu Momma said...

I am oh-so-eagerly awaiting your Christmas decor photo of 2009. The one from 2008 made me laugh for at least five minutes.

And I am right this very minute eating toothpaste chocolate, otherwise known as peppermint bark. Yes, at 10:15 in the morning. You gotta problem with that???

Nicole said...

Thanks for the link! I love this meme. I might just steal it. Also, I think your tree and my tree would be friends and unite against the Martha trees.

Rachel@just another day in paradise said...

love your blog. (tonggu mommy sent me here through a weird rumor that you don't like peppermint. . .) this meme looks so fun I think I'll totally steal it! : )

PS Your Thanksgiving is totally in the wrong month. ; )

Anonymous said...

Your Mother thinks your Father is a STUD MUFFIN & it's due to the tins & tins of smoked oysters eaten each Christmas. Now ladies (hint hint) for stocking stuffers.
You might end up singing. I'm dreaming of smoked oysters for Christmas.

granola_granny said...

The women at this household love to watch the Sound of Music. Helps create the festive perspective. We have a young friend in high school who likes musicals but has never seen the S O M. That will be changed this 25th when she opens our holiday present.

Knittinchick said...

Granola Granny rocks! SOM must be a cousins thing. My sister and I loved to watch it as well. Somehow the boys always 'needed' to check their email or something like that for 3 hours!

CC said...

"dark chocolate salted caramels"

Wow.

Yum!!!!!!!!

And you obviously need to buy different toothpaste (try orange flavor!) so you stop associating yummy peppermint with toothpaste.

Heather of the EO said...

You're such a rebel :)

I guess that makes me one too. I don't do anything that stresses me out, so this year, with moving and such, I've done NO decorating and we have no tree. How sad.

My child did an excellent job decorating one chair and the top of a desk with three items. Good enough for me! :)