Friday, March 5, 2010

Spring, Cake and a Rodent or Two

It's Friday.

You know what that means!!

1. Way Cooler has a rare weekend off. While I do LOVE his job and there are many advantages to shift work, it is a real treat to have a weekend together. I do NOT have to sit alone in church this weekend. Yahooo!


2. We attend a large-ish church and I have found that when you go in and sit alone, you stay alone. People will avoid your row LIKE THE PLAGUE. I have no idea why. My solution has been to find someone else sitting alone and sit with them, but sometimes there is no one when I go in.

3. We are getting Spring a little early around here these days and the whole city seems to have a little bounce in it's step. When I pick up Spud from school people are lingering outside, rather than clutching their children and scurrying off to the warmth of their cars. It's hard to do community when it is cold.

4. Hey, did you know that if you make a bunt cake, it is not a good idea to treat it like Angel food cake and hang it upside down on a funnel? Yeah, me neither. Turns out of you do that, you will be piecing your bunt together like a puzzle and hoping the glaze covers a multitude of sins.

5. The cake is for my dad's birthday celebration and I have this overwhelming urge to stick a geranium in the middle of it. (If you haven't watched my Big Fat Greek Wedding, well you really need to. Then you will understand.)

6. I have given up chocolate for Lent. This was a very, very bad idea. Currently it is not making me any more reverent. Just cranky. I may have to work on my attitude. This will be hard without chocolate. Lent 2010 may be remembered in our family as the year that Mommy went a little bonkers.

7. My kids have discovered the joy that is Chip and Dale on Youtube. I thought I'd share the "joy." I just keep saying, well at least it is not a talking cucumber.



For more quick takes, see Jennifer at Conversion Diary!

5 comments:

momofthecrazies said...

When you used "rodent" in your title, all I could picture is those poor little mice that wanted to take refuge in your garage at your previous house. I'm glad it's Chip and Dale instead!

Knittinchick said...

Woo hoo to not sitting alone in church. I lead the team of Sitting Solo Sweeties everywhere I am. There are days when the novelty totally wears off!

Middle-Aged Moi said...

My kids loved that. We have now discovered Chip and Dale. :-)

Nicole said...

SPRING! There are leaf buds on my lilacs, green sprigs of perennials in my garden, and JOY in my heart.

Debbie said...

That is so weird that no one sits in your pew. And I gave up candy and ice cream. Really, really bad idea.