Monday, June 7, 2010

I Think I'll Leave My Shirt Open Dr. Dearest

A week after the surgery, I went to my family doctor's office to have my stitches removed.

Side note, you know it's a big surgery when you get both stitches and staples. And neither are of the dissolving kind. More of the "hurts like the dickens to remove" kind.

Anyway, I was at the quack Dr.'s office and while he did not at all inquire as to how I was feeling after having my ribcage cracked open and my lungs dug around in, he did tell me I should button my shirt up all the way so no one else would have to see my scar.

That's about as close I have ever come to bopping a medical doctor right in the nose. (I've come even closer to bopping a certain PhD doctor, but that's another story for another time.)

I was speechless. But I am not now. So here are the things I wish I had said.

I am not covering this scar up. I need to see it. It's too important to hide.

This scar will forever remind me of the privilege I have of living in a country where excellent medical care is readily available for everyone regardless of income. It will also remind me to give to those who don't.

It's a reminder of how great it is to be a part of a church community. I have been prayed for by people I do not even know, fed by people I know slightly and friends have willingly sacrificed time and energy to help me out.
It teaches me even more about family. My parents have given up a month of their lives to take care of me and my kids and my sister willingly parenting five kids, including the three busiest boys in Canada. Plus, my brother has been cheering Spud on at soccer for oever a month. I only hope I'll be able to return the favour.

Every time I look at this scar I will remember those who have their own hidden scars and will be prompted to pray for them, just as I have been so remembered.

This scar reminds me that beauty is not about being perfect, it's about being real. My "flaws" make me who I am.

I have a 13 inch reminder of how gentle my boys can be. All three of them. I have been loved, stroked and waited on with infinite patience. I will never forget being kissed up and down my arm and being asked, "is your heart happy now mommy?" Forever happy my boy. Forever.

Most importantly it reminds me that I was not only physically broken and am now healed, there is a healer for broken hearts and souls and he binds them even better than any doctor could ever.

I can't cover that up.

11 comments:

Recovering Sociopath said...

"is your heart happy now, mommy?"

Thanks for the morning sniffle.

Good post.

Knittinchick said...

Perfectly said! You only forgot to add... "This is the perfect party discussion starter."

Lady Why said...

I think that doctor deserved a good konk on the nose! What a dweeb!! Wear that scar proudly, my friend, for all the reasons you mentioned and more!

So glad you're on 'the other side' of it all... and just in time for summer! :-)

Middle-Aged Moi said...

Wow. That was a pretty callous remark! Don't you wish you could go back in time and say all that. Maybe you should write him a little note and drop it by his office....:-)

SO glad you are on the mend! SO glad!

CC said...

Wow. I totally would have bopped him. Wonderful reminders you have! They are ALL precious.

Sharon L. Holland said...

A beautiful post. I am so glad you are on the mend.

Anonymous said...

Sweetheart
You have already returned the favor by doing this post & getting better. We love you pumpkin & are so thankful you are on the mend. WOW do you ever have a great group of visitors to your blog. What a great support & willing ladies to take on your dumb Dr.
Love ya Dad

Beck said...

Some doctors have callous, cold hearts or just searingly horrible social skills but if they get the job done, my God am I ever grateful for them.

What a beatuiful post. I am so happy that you are healing.

Heather of the EO said...

YES. Take that, DR!

Beautiful. I love this post.

Char said...

Wow, I am so moved, I was crying on the floor! Lol!! Wasn't expecting that at all!

I remember working at Value Village and a young woman came in looking for something to wear for a big piano recital that she was performing at. She had a huge scar in a similar area to yours. I smiled at her, and she smiled at me, and we found her a beautiful formal dress that showcased all of her, including that beautiful scar.

As I currently have no scars that show, I always feel hypocritical telling people to be proud of whatever they've gone through.

Thanks for being that person. I'm so proud of you.

Anonymous said...

You have such a perspective on life that is so awesome. A perspective I think the rest of us cannot live without. You are special to all of us that call you friend. You inspire. You reflect in a way that reminds us we need to have a positive outlook on life! If you don't know already... I think you are amazing and valuable.

Loads of love from CR (Canuck up north).