Monday, January 10, 2011

It's Always Cooler on an iPhone

A month or so ago Way Cooler installed Words with Friends on my iPad.  Oh.My.Heavens that game is addictive.  It has brought us both hours of geeky joy.  It does not hurt that I am better at it than he.  This is only due to the fact that I have had my nose buried in a book for the better part of my life whereas the last time Way Cooler read through a book cover to cover the majority of Americans still approved of George Bush as president.


I've discovered something about myself.  I may be a tad bit competitive.  (Insert Way Cooler shouting up the stairs "a bit?  A bit?"  but let's just ignore that shall we?)  Trouncing my husband brings me joy at a level that is almost a bit sad.


To redeem myself, let me explain.  Way Cooler is a gamer.  This can loosely be translated to mean that he takes the fun right out of family game night.  He questions most of my moves, offers tips and will not play any game where winning is not the ultimate goal. SO FUN. Finally, for the good of our marriage we stopped playing games together about five years ago.  But now, I can be another room and still play scrabble with him.  It's awesome.  


Except I am NEVER to refer to it as Scrabble.  Which apparently is a game for geeks.  Playing it on an iPhone however as the technology redeems the cool factor.    Or at least as cool as it is going to get for a family where we both have blogs, twitter accounts and consider an episode of Star Trek Voyager a treat.  


What about you, what games bring you all closer together?



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am the most uncompetitive person in the world. Seriously, I would RATHER lose than win over somebody who takes it seriously, because I know it won't bother me and it will bother them, and I have been known to sabotage my own score in order to help the game overall.

Needless to say, most people don't like playing games with me, and I don't like playing games much with competitive types! I have, however, discovered that I can be quite happily brutal when it comes to Bananagrams (stupidest name ever, but a fun game). Although even then I'm willing to consider a little under-the-table trading, if it benefits both me and whomever is closest to me at the table!

Nicole said...

This is why I would never take up golf.

Missy said...

Answer me this.

When you wake up in the morning, do both of you reach to opposite nightstands, grab your iPhone, hear the familiar glub glub glub, and play each other before you start your day?

It's just another expression of love, it is.