Monday, March 31, 2008

Maranatha Blues

The past couple of weeks I have had several songs running through my head. These are not necessarily songs you want running through your head.

If you grew up attending church in the 70's and 80's you might recognize some of these titles and you can see why I want them out.

If you didn't, well, count yourself lucky.

Joy is a Flag Flown High
It only Takes a Spark
Come into His Presence Singing Hallelujah
I've got a River


and this musical masterpiece

"Freely Freely"


I was trying to figure out where this music came from and how to make the Maranatha party in my head stop. Permanently.


I may not know how to gt rid of it, but today when I was clearing out my inbox I figured out how it got there.


I get a monthly e-mail from Joe fashions.


This is what was in this month's flyer.


The last time I saw that dress, I was singing those songs. Back in 1978. My mom wore the dress.


Mystery solved.

Now if we could just send the whole mess back to the 70's where it belongs.

9 comments:

momofthecrazies said...

You should have seen the shudder that went through my body when you mentioned "Freely, Freely". It gives me the willies.

KnittinChick said...

How sad that Joe would cause this sort of nightmarish flashbacks.

You did forget "Thank you for giving to the Lord" as well. Freely, freely is something of flashbacks for anyone else.

Bargainista said...

Maranatha and Joe Fashions, i would never have put the 2 together, trust you Happy Geek!

How about the song from the kids Music Machine record, "Have Patiences!" That goes through my head quite often at work and sometimes i even start singing it. It may benefit me, but i'm not so sure the people i work w. are impressed. Maybe when i achieve 'patience' the song will cease!

Middle-Aged Moi said...

It only takes a Spark was our "bible camp" song. And "freely freely" was a close second. I like your reasoning about why those songs are coming back to you...it's all this retro clothing!

momofthecrazies said...

Thank you very much for putting these songs in my head. Now I've been singing them all day.

Bargainista said...

Yes, i agree w. momofthecrazies.

Char said...

I LOVE all of those songs!!!!

REALLY!!

Well, are they better than having THESE tunes stuck in your head??

(Please don't judge me)

-The Friendly Giant theme
-I Like Big Butts (the song, I'm not informing you of anything)
-I'm too sexy (okay, maybe this one is also informing you of something!!LOL!)
-and lastly,
Hangin tough!!!

At least yours are Christ centered!!

P.S. Even I wouldn't wear that dress!! That's saying something!!

Tez said...

oh man, now we're back to gauzy sleeve and neckline inserts? Baby doll dresses? Man, people should know when to leave the past BEHIND!

KnittinChick said...

I have had Freely Freely all day in my head... and Joy is a flag flown high.

Seriously, it's a good thing that you're so funny-this is a serious matter this annoying songs in my head!