Thursday, June 12, 2008

All Polished Up

Last week on our vacation I decided to get a pedicure. It was not a decision I made lightly. My calluses and I are quite attached.

However, I wanted my toes painted in a desperate attempt to draw people's attention away from the flabby, white rest-of-me this summer.

Unfortunately, if I did the painting it WOULD draw attention. Too much attention. As Way Cooler so kindly put it one time, when Geekie paints her toes it looks like a little girl got into her mother's polish. (Yes, sometimes it IS hard to believe that he taught communication for a living.)

So, off I went for a pedicure. I saw that for only ten more bucks I could also get a manicure. Hey, why not? So, I got all polished and spiffed up. This is TERRIBLY unusual. Other than high school about the only time I ever painted my fingernails was when we lived in Texas and that was because I was the only female at work who didn't and I did not want to stand out.

Looking back on it, being the only Caucasian in a staff of African-Americans and Hispanics might have been a bit more conspicuous than nail polish, but hey, I did what I could to blend in.

I realized a little too late after picking out my finger nail colour that styles may have changed since the 90's. My shell pink polish just didn't look as cute as it did when I teased and sprayed my bangs into submission.

I also submitted to a brow wax after the nice Vietnamese lady doing my nails asked for the third time if I was sure that I didn't want them done. Apparently unibrows aren't everybody's cup of tea.

So, after everything was all done I looked in the mirror and thought, "wow, am I cute or what?" "I might be "with it" after all."

Then I put my hand in my pocket to get my keys and totally scrunched up the polish on one of my fingers.

I hear being "with it" is over-rated anyway.

5 comments:

KnittinChick said...

Hmmmm.... the toes will stay great for a long time though. It's interesting what their type of 'encouragement' brings from the beauty assistants:-)

Kelly @ Love Well said...

And THAT'S why I never get a manicure anymore. It's ruined in 30 minutes or less.

I love pedicures, though. They have staying power.

Bargainista said...

We must be related. People could say the same thing about my polish application as WC says of yours. OR maybe it's b/c whenever i seem to have time to put it on is when we are racing down the freeway to some wedding or other celebration.
(no i'm not driving as i apply it...but i could probabely take a lesson from someone like Mr.Bean and multi task there too).

Char said...

Too funny! I once had a french manicure given as a gift, for I was to be a bridesmaid in my friends wedding! Cost a lot, and when I got home, it lasted until the first bum change. Baby Gabe's butt wipes, did in the manicure completely! I had to take it all off and do my own 'walmart' version of it!! I never told her. Gulp.

Ah well,

Middle-Aged Moi said...

TOTALLY overrated. Or so I've heard.....:-)