Sunday, June 15, 2008

Way Cooler

I have been thinking about Father's Day posts. I have had several ideas and all would serve as great posts by themselves.

So.

That's what I'll do.

This is the first in a series of posts commemorating dads.

Lucky y'all.

As some of you know, we were married rather youngish. We then proceeded to do more schooling than you could shake a stick at. All this schooling was rather expensive and time consuming so we held off on having babies for 8 years. We really wanted me to be a SAHM and Way Cooler to actually have time to spend with his kids, things that would not have been possible had we not waited as long as we did.

In the meantime Way Cooler continually would refer to babies as "ugly little things" (sometimes frighteningly close to new moms) and refuse to even hold them as they might be contagious.

This caused me to be just a little worried about his own parenting skills.

However, whatever doubts and fears I might have had all evaporated about .013 seconds after he held his son for the first time.

He was a mushball. The world's biggest. My solid, stoic husband cooed, talked baby talk and nibbled at his son's arm. This really was not what I was expecting and melted me completely.

He still is a mushball. He is loving, gentle and utterly protective. We had read in Bringing Up Boys that moms need to be sure not to over-protect their sons. I am not the problem. Way Cooler would wrap them in bubble wrap if he could. I think he has a small heart attack every time I take them to the park as I encourage climbing to the very top of the biggest equipment. Way Cooler encourages playing in the sand. Less dangerous.

I am so thrilled and delighted with how much my husband loves his sons. They will never wonder at his affection as it is lavished on them. I don't think they will ever know how blessed they are in that regard.

But I do.

Happy Father's Day Way Cooler.

Your sons and I are so blessed to have you in our lives.

P.S. Can Someone tell Way Cooler he might want to actually read my blog today?
Thanks.

5 comments:

Middle-Aged Moi said...

Great post. Wow. A whole SERIES devoted to your man? You're putting us all to shame....

granola_granny said...

Beautiful!

KnittinChick said...

PPS-Can you get WC to read this before your birthday/anniversary/needing to get away from the kidos times?

Maybe a copy laminated and put in strategic places of the household would be a good idea.

Char said...

If he was a ball of mush with a baby boy, it's a darn good thing you didn't have a girl! The guy would have melted and pooled on the hospital floor!!

I love the difference a child makes in who you are, and everything you thought you knew!!

blessings!

Bargainista said...

Has WC read your blog yet? If not PLEASE email me your phone number and i will have a word with him.
Just being called Way Cooler should make him your #1 blog fan!