Thursday, June 19, 2008

Bookie Lookie.

I got tagged for a book meme. I was game because I love anything to do with books.

Except for Sense and Sensibility, but that's another story for another day.

So, I got started right away.

These are the rules:

1. Pick up the nearest book.
2. Open to page 123
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the next three sentences.
5. Tag five people, and acknowledge who tagged you.


I was surrounded by books but none of them had more than 20 or so pages. I would have been hard-pressed to find eight sentences on one page as well. However, I wanted to be faithful to JCK's tag so I ran downstairs and continued the quest.

Turns out the phone book does not have sentences on page 123.

Carrying on, I thought for sure the next book would be applicable. It was a non-fiction book on the decay in western society. Unfortunately page 123 was describing a rather questionable piece of art labelled "The Dung Virgin". It described it in detail. Lurid and gross detail. Imagine the weird-o Google hits I would get after that one. Moving on.

I was beginning to dislike this game.

Finally:

The following morning he would travel by train to Yaroslavl, where he would open a factory before returning to the capital to attend a performance by the Bolshoi Ballet. From there he would take the midnight train to St. Petersburg. Connor had already decided to shadow Zerimski in Yaroslavl.

Intrigued?

The book is The Eleventh Commandment by Jeffry Archer.

It's really good. Even if that excerpt is not. Could there possibly be more Russian words in three English sentences?

Thank-you to the incomparable JCK at Motherscribe for the meme.

I don't tag, (reminds me too much of exercise) but if it intrigues you and you have more than Happy Baby ABC at your disposal than go for it. My meme is your meme. Or something like that.

6 comments:

Middle-Aged Moi said...

LOVE Jeffery Archer. One of my FAVOURITE modern authors. Now, that dude can WRITE! Have you read Kane and Abel? SOOOOO good. Or the Prodigal Daughter. Or the one about the president? Can't remember the name of that one. LOVE that guy, even if he is a crook. :-)

PS- AND WHAT WAS WRONG WITH SENSE AND SENSIBILITY? Or should I ask, WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU? ;-)

Char said...

what does meme stand for????

And how do you pronounce it??

happygeek said...

A meme is apparently pronounced meem. I had always pronounced it me me as they generally are about the blogger. Oops.
A meme is a game or something like that ie 20 questions, 7 quirky things etc that you write about then you "tag" other bloggers to do the same thing until the entire blogosphere is writing 20 things about themselves etc.
Helpful?

happygeek said...

Oh and Janet, if Jeffrey Archer has written it, I have read it.
My favorite (and it is hard to pick one) is Sons of Fortune. But they are all good, although I found Honour Among Thieves to be his weakest.

JCK said...

You are so funny. Only you would have such an adventure to find the right book and the tale to the finding of it! :) You never disappoint. Thanks for playing along, HG!

Tez said...

well the nearest 4 books to me are text books, hehehehe, might be fun to meme a text book, however, I won't cause ya know, I'm supposed to be typing my paper but I'm hanging out with you instead...I like you better!!!!
Have a super day. Are you coming to coffee sometime? are you still close enough to do it?